Sunday, July 14, 2013

When did preteen drama become the norm?

My daughter has a friend
Or maybe 
I should  say had a friend

This is new territory to us
She had her elementary friends
That she still sees
Just not in the same frequency

She also has friends 
That she has known 
Since they were in diapers
But
Now that the diapers have been traded in for bras
Those close friends 
Are fading into the background

The hurt feelings 
And 
The inevitably drama
That just seems to come with girls 
It can be hard to take

What makes it harder 
Is figuring out
When to step in and when to take a step back 

I know 
It is part of growing up
And finding out who you are and want to be
Spread your wings Kid
I am OK with this

The sticky part of these 
Parting diaper friends
Is the fact 
Her Mother and I 
Are good friends

How do you keep that friendship 
From getting
Trampled by drama
That is not ours

I am told
If we are true friends
We will be able to look past it all
However 
We are both extremely protective of our children's feelings

Something is brewing
You can feel it in the air
I am just hopeful 
We all can weather out this storm

2 comments:

  1. awww that must be pretty tough. I will never understand until I'm a parent...but I am hopeful for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girls ARE dramatic, aren't they? I never know how much to intervene either! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete