Monday, September 17, 2012

Unexpected Sunday

It has been a long Monday. Most seem that way. This one however seemed just that much longer due to an unexpected Sunday trip. I found that a cousin of mine was visiting the States from Germany. My mother and daughter met up with him early Saturday morning to watch the German Pride Parade in the city.They had a great day. I stayed home and was super lazy while a trip to the city sounded like a lot of fun the $$$ was not in the budget.

Sunday the plan was for my Mom,the Kid, a cousin Christoph to head over to NJ for an annual family get together. I had no intentions of going but since Christoph asked I sucked it up and went. It is not that I do not like family things but it is a very long story of why I pick and choose. Today is not the day to stir that pot.

The family reunion thing was not what any of us had expected. It started at 12pm and ended by 3pm. Mind you it was about a 2hr drive from our home.  Also ,Christoph was not able to check in where he was staying until 9pm. Since he was dragging his suitcase with him we did not feel right putting him back on the train to walk around the city until 9pm.

So what to do? Seemed easy enough to me,drive him into the city,find parking, leave his suitcase in the car and go find a place to eat.  We walked through Chelsea.Decided to get on the Subway and head to China Town for dinner. Christoph knew where he wanted to go so we tracked down the address only to find it was closed.Oops. In the end we went to the next place down,because at this point we were starved.

After dinner, we headed to Little Italy where the Feast of San Gennaro was underway. Just walking enjoying the scene. We didn't eat a thing ( I think a first). Then we made our way back to the car. We ended up taking a few different trains due to things we did not know about. I guess that just proves my point that I do not spend nearly enough time in the city and that I must correct this soon.

Highlight of the day,picture 3 adults and an 11 yr old. Tired, full and ready to call it a day crammed on the C train.  Then a lady nearly pushed herself over to us and leans over to Cousin Christoph and says," Um,are you from here?" Christoph just looked at her blankly and then got this smirk and said something to her in German, She laughed and punched him in the arm. The Kid,my mom and I just looked confused.  After a little banter back and forth between Christoph and the lady we finally got clued in. Of the millions of people in NYC, Christoph bumps into a family friend from Germany who is in the States as an Au Pair. If that wasn't crazy enough, she tells us that she thought she had seen him yesterday at the parade but was like  no could not be him he is in Germany.

This my friends is why I love moments in NYC you never know what will happen.

The Kid


Me & the Kid

The Kid


Cousin Christoph
Love this view even when my heart misses the old view more


Till we meet up again NYC!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, how the Little Italys and Chinatowns are exciting places to see and have the best places to eat! I wish I could visit NYC again! -Jessica L

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! That is crazy!
    people are so surprising, honestly.
    but that's awesome and it seems like it was a good time.
    i love that view as well.
    hopefully one day I can go to NY too!
    ~Morgan

    ReplyDelete